National Qualifying Tournament Information

Attendance at a National Qualifying Tournament (NQT) is mandatory in order to be considered for advancement to the NCT.

Seven NQTs will be held the same weekend, Feb 2-3, 2018.

Each NQT will have 1 or more divisions of 5 teams each. Each division will play 10 round robin games with each team playing all competitors in their division (4 games each).

Teams will be randomly drawn for placement into divisions at the on-site team meeting:
5-team tournaments will play in a single division in 1 room.
10-team tournaments will have 2 divisions playing in 2 rooms simultaneously.

The top 4 teams at each tournament compete in a single-elimination playoff.

"B-Team" slots are not available at this time, however you may request one should space be available. B-Teams will only be use to fill out a tournament.

Registration will open on November 2, 2017 and is on a first-come, first-served basis, and will close for each NQT site when all available slots at that tournament are filled.

Campus Coordinators and Coaches will receive advance information via email at least 10 days in advance of registration opening so that they may secure funding and plan which site for which they wish to regiaster.

Registration Procedures:

  • To reserve a slot in a tournament, complete the NQT Registration form, making a commitment to attend the tournament and indicating how many (if any) persons in addition to the 4 players and 1 coach will attend (extra fees apply).
  • You must pay the invoice (to the host HBCU) no later than the deadline on your invoice or your registration will be voided. On-site payments will not be permitted. There are no refunds. An invoice is sent via email immediately following registration.
  • Later, you will complete the NCT team and player registrations as part of NCT Part 2 Qualification by January 22, 2018.

    If you cancel your NQT registration after January 1st or if your team fails to attend the NQT for which you are registered, your team will be disqualified from consideration for the NCT.

Advancement to the NCT:
Effective the 2017-2018 season, 75% of the teams for the NCT are determined based on their play at the National Qualifying Tournaments. The remaining 25% are selected to balance the field and ensure that HBCUs have an NCT experience at least every few years.

Three groups of teams from the NQTs will advance to the NCT:

Automatically Advancing Teams: The top teams at each NQT, as determined by the results of the NQT playoffs:
1 division tournaments will advance 1 team automatically (playoff winner)
2 division tournaments will advance 2 teams automatically (playoff winner and runner-up)

Performance Advancing Teams: After the automatically advancing teams, the round robin performance of remaining teams will be evaluated across all NQTs. This formula takes into consideration win-loss record, points scored and strength of field.

Other Advancing Teams: The final 25% of teams advancing will be selected.

Teams advancing to the NCT will be announced the week after the NQTs.